Thank you for purchasing one of our fine floors! We hope it will serve you and your family for many years to come. Caring for your new hardwood floor is similar to caring for a fine piece of furniture. It will look beautiful for years to come if you treat it with care and patience.
- Do not allow people to wear spiked heels on the floor, as it will damage even the hardest wood floor and finish.
- Use protective mats by doorways to keep any sand, dirt and moisture from being tracked across your floor.
- Area rugs are recommended in front of sinks and should be slip-resistant with a non-abrasive and non-discoloring backer.
- Install floor protectors (felt pads) under all furniture and chair legs to prevent scratches. This kit will cover most situations.
- Work boots and shoes should be removed before entering, they may have pebbles lodged in the soles.
- Pet claws should be properly trimmed at all times.
- Clean up any and all spills before they dry or get sticky.
- Avoid discoloration by protecting your floor from direct sunlight or any intense source of artificial lighting.
We recommend Woca, Bona and Rubio Monocoat brand cleaners and maintenance products. When using any of these products to maintain your floor, read the instructions on the bottle, and test in an inconspicuous area to make sure it provides the results you’re looking for.
UV Finished Care and Maintenance
To clean the factory urethane finish, we recommend Bona Swedish Formula Hardwood Floor Cleaner. Floor waxes, oil soaps, and petroleum-based cleaners should not be used under any circumstances.
Never wet-mop your floor, and always clean up spills and standing water as soon as possible. With water or any other cleaning agent, be sure to thoroughly ring out the applicator or mop prior to applying it to the floor. A damp mop is fine as long as the moisture is limited to an amount that will evaporate almost immediately.
Periodic recoating of your floor will help prolong the life and restore the new appearance of your floor. By recoating the floor at the first signs of wear, you will be able to bring your floor back to new condition with relatively little cost and inconvenience. This is a service provided by a re-finishing professional in your area. It is commonly known as a Screen & Re-coat.
Since most scratches are small surface scratches that do not break the clear coat, most of these can be easily hidden with a stain pen or Tibet Almond Oil Stick Scratch Remover. For darker floors a stain pen may work best, Minwax and Varathane make a collection of pens that will blend with virtually any color floor. For heavier scratches use a blend and fill wax pencil. This will fill deeper scratches that have broken through the clear coat. Available on Amazon or most home centers.
Oil Finished Care and Maintenance (Brushed Patina Collection)
Don’t use solvents like Windex or cleaners used for urethane finished floors, use products that are specific for oil finished floors.
For everyday cleaning: Bona Natural Oil Floor Cleaner Kit
Refills: 3 PACK Bona® Professional Series Natural Oil Floor Cleaner – 32oz Spray Bottle
One of the great features of oil finished flooring is its ability to be spot repaired. Should the floor be scratched deeply the area can be spot sanded and re-oiled to match, blending in to the rest of the floor. These are only for small spot repairs, Not for refinishing, or large areas. If you have an area larger than a tea cup saucer to touch-up, contact a professional with experience with oil finish flooring.
For Spot/Stain removal: Woca Spot Remover
Straw and Natural R&Q
For more in depth cleaning (monthly or quarterly): Woca Natural Soap 1 Liter (Natural)
For Annual or Bi-annual Refreshing (frequency will depend on traffic):
Pre-Oil Cleaner used prior to Refresher Oil
Straw, Natural R&Q and Root
Woca Oil Refresher 1 Liter (White)